Tiny grey or brown parasitic insects which infest the hair are known as head lice. These insects feed on human blood and thrive on human skin. They are usually found on the scalp region, around the neckline and the area behind the ears. These head lice can spread easily through direct contact from one person to another. It can affect anybody regardless of the gender or age. Mostly school going children get affected by it. Lice infestations may cause symptoms such as itching and scratching due to the allergic reaction to the excreta and saliva of the lice.
There are several home remedies for head lice which are simple to follow and easy to use. Some of the popular home remedies are:
1. One of the simplest home remedies for head lice is to apply onion juice on the scalp and leave it there for three hours. Now shampoo your hair. You can try this process again after couple of days.
2. Vinegar is also one of the efficient home remedies for lice. You can try this remedy before going to bed. Mix two teaspoons of vinegar in six teaspoons of water and then apply this mixture to the scalp. Wrap or cover your head with a clean cloth and then go to sleep. Next morning shampoo your hair. Try this remedy two times in a week to get better results.
3. Another effective home remedy is to put olive oil, mayonnaise and Vaseline on your head and then cover your head with shower cap. Leave it for overnight and wash next morning.
4. Tea tree oil is known as a natural lice killer. All you need to do is apply tea tree oil on your hair and allow it to stay there for overnight. Next morning wash your hair.
5. Take ten to twelve almonds and soak them in water. Later make a paste out of these almonds and mix lemon juice (three to four tablespoon) in it. Now apply this mixture of almond paste and lemon juice on your scalp and wait for the next one to two hours. Later wash your hair with cold water.
6. Neem leaves are very effective in killing head lice. All you have to do is take some neem leaves and make them into a paste. Apply this paste on your hair and wait until it dries. Once dried, wash your hair. Try this method for at least two times in a week.
7. Basil leaves are equally beneficial in removing head lice. Just make a paste out of twenty to thirty basil leaves and then apply it on your hair. Wait for half an hour until it dries. Now wash it off. You can try this two times in a week.
8. A nit comb is a very effective comb which helps in removing head lice from the hair. In order to remove all the head lice from your hair, daily comb your wet hair with nit comb.
9. Cut your hair short enough to make it impossible for the lice to hide.
These were some of the simple, cheap and effective home remedies for head lice which can be tried at home.